Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Final Project--"I Need You"

Hey guys!

All right, so thank you for keeping up with the craziness of this project for the past week or so. Here's everything in a nutshell... :)

Premise:

Each and every story of adversity is unique to the individual, but it has the capacity to connect us all and inspire. So, I am taking peoples' stories (retaining the anonymity of the individuals) and creating pictures from their accounts. I will make the pictures out of words.

Website: http://www.ineedyouproject.com

Blog: http://www.ineedyouproject.wordpress.com

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/INeedYouProject

Email: ineedyouproject01@gmail.com

New Idea: This is where I really need your help!

I met with my mentor and discussed the project idea yet again (yesterday). Having done a final project with words in his class, he urged me to look at buying a projector that would project words onto the pieces (instead of making the pictures out of words). I have dabbled in both, and I am going to explore what each does to the concept at hand when I get into summer. But, what do you think? Here are some examples of both--


Questions: Do you like ONLY the background made of words? Or, should I make the whole piece out of words?


Questions: Do you like the projection? Here's what the projection does: it allows people to walk in front of the piece and be "in" the piece as the words run across that person's back. Also, I could tune the projection to different slides, so with the same piece, there would be multiple slides of that individual's words (in that individual's story).

Application for the artist:

So, being the artist of this project, I also wanted to put myself into this . . . literally. So, I put in a story :)


After anyone submits a story, the submission page reads, "Thank you! I promise I'll take good care of it."

Process:

1.) Submission of story

After someone submits their story via one of three things: email, website contact box, or blog, the artistic process begins. But, it all starts with you! :) Which, is a very cool thing.

2.) Sketch it up!
So, after I receive a story, I make a sketch, or a couple of sketches. Here's one for my story:


Specifically, I tagged the part where in my hospital visits, I had IV treatments. And, this is what I came up with. Usually, I do sketches in pen and shade them with colored pencil. I know . . . I'm weird. haha!

3.) Break out the graphite
After I make a sketch, I choose the paper (maybe 2-ply--and for a side-note, "ply" is the amount of sheets an artist's paper is made from; if we say 5-ply, it's pretty thick. If 2-ply, the paper will be thin, and I do light graphite, which does not require thick paper--or, I was thinking of something thin, like parchment paper, something that will fade with time, that looks archival, playing off the simile that people are like walking books . . .).

So, for this part, I will do a more detailed, time-consuming piece. Like so:



4.) Start all over again with a new story
This is always an adventure.

5.) Hang it up in the gallery :) (and this is still tentative--this may be completely different come time when I decide between pictures made of words vs. projected words)
But, the rough gallery sketches look something like this right now:

The little rectangles are the frames (and this is a quick Hite gallery sketch--where the BFA exhibitions take place). And, the small gallery space allows for a ( ) hanging, like two parentheticals, almost like an eye shape. And, these will be chained to the ceiling, or maybe even hovering with fishline. And, in the center there is a mirror box, where individuals (I use this word a lot, apparently!) will be able to write with dry-erase markers on the mirrors, as well as input their comments on comment/submission sheets that will be on the table.


This gallery space is a little bigger--this is where we went to see Smilde's cloud-works. So, I outlined the gallery and placed a few (okay, a lot of) frames in the gallery space. In the center of the heart shapes, there are double sided frames, so the frame will all be suspended and will allow for a walk through of the gallery, any side you want to take.

The name: I need you:

The name came from one of those epiphanies you always here people getting. I thought about calling it "catharsis," or "Soul Works" or something I thought was clever. But, when I started on the website, what really came to the forefront of everything is that I need you. I need these individuals and their stories. I'm not in a bubble, especially as an artist. And, I need people to make art, to digest it, and to be influenced by it, and to influence me. So, I need you. :) I hope you will take the time to tell your friends/anyone who's interested in this project. It's going to take a lot of time and effort and research (I'm researching literary theory right now to see how I can further my words and make my own fonts and handwritten scripts to help these stories breathe on the page). But, I really believe that stories, especially yours, can be powerful. Your story's worth believing in. I believe God made you--and your story. So, it's valuable. That's why I want to tell it.

And, I need your help to do that. ;)



8 comments:

  1. Great job, Taylor, setting up your website.

    So, if I have this right, you will receive a story and then draw a picture of your interpretation of that story utilizing words directly from the story. Is that correct?

    In reference to how to construct them and which mediums you want to use I would suggest you ask yourself a series of questions. Perhaps one could be, "How intimate do I want to be in its presentation?" There are a million questions just ask yourself whatever you want and then listen to the answers from that still small voice within.

    Have you received any stories yet?

    What are the details of your story? Are the words the folds in the hospital gown and the IV stand? Or are they still to be added?

    It's a brilliant concept that I patiently await to view it's formal presentation.

    Keep on going!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie--

      thank you for the questions. I have asked myself the how intimate question. And, I think I want to do a 1 on 1 setting, but like you're at a get-together with people and you're talking to an individual while in that group setting. And, yes, you are correct--I will be drawing a picture of their story (or three pictures of their story--whatever their story lends). And, I will be using words to draw their story (like a number of examples posted). I'm still experimenting with the best options.
      And, yes! I have gotten stories already!!!!!
      The details of my story I will probably post on the blog. I'm trying to formulate them right now, but that depiction was from a section when I had IV therapy for my illness. And, yes, everything is made of words.

      Thank you, Maggie! I really appreciate the questions! They help me "think" :D

      Taylor

      Delete
  2. Taylor,

    I know I've said it before, but I love what you're doing here. This project is very very powerful in a way of connecting people to each other, and to you. I think that's a big part of life - the people we meet - the connections we make. These all influence who we turn out to be, and who they are too!

    You know, I love love love handwritten words. Especially in the example you posted above where they are scrolled upon a wall in the background. I have always marveled at the complexity of your work and the detail you put into it! Sometimes it's amazing that those marks are actually words. :P
    But also, I think that doing words from a projector gives you a lot of different options to play around with - it's definitely a cool idea. I also like how the viewer is able to sort of "participate" and "become one" with the piece with the projector and shadows. You could pull off either one you choose! I'd definitely explore more with the projector though - see what the possibilities are. You know you can master the words in the drawing itself, so just play around with it and see what happens. I'm sure you'll just be able to tell intuitively which one you want to stick with. :)

    Great job on this project! I'm really excited to see where you go with this and how it unfolds. I'm sure we all are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel!

      Thank you so much; you're always so encouraging when I talk to you, and that means the world, especially when I'm not really sure what's going to happen. But, thank you so much. You've helped me immensely. We've already gotten stories to draw! Wow. :D

      haha Yes! I know you love handwritten words. Thank you for the analysis of both sides--I think I'll experiment with both this summer. Gonna try to get a projector! :0

      Delete
  3. Hi Taylor!
    Your project is so thoroughly thought out and attentive to detail... I absolutely love it! What if you did each piece a different way? Like use all of the options depending on which style you think the story would work best with? I don't know if you want uniformity but I think it might be cool to mix it up a bit.

    I'm so excited to see the final project, and best of luck! I'm excited to follow the development over the next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jenna!

      I really like that idea--it speaks to the individualism of every one who is a part of this. :D I think I'll play with that this summer and see what type of media lends itself to the stories. Thank you so much! :D

      Delete
  4. I like that you took so much time to decide on a name, after all, "What's in a name?" (Shakespeare) Names and the calling of things is really important, and I think the simplicity of the name you chose highlights the works and the idea that every person needs someone.
    The drawings/sketches are cool too, in that you are almost acting as the illustrator of a book of stories (perhaps with permission of persons, you may consider making a book to go with the exhibition?) As for choosing, I think, "why choose? why not do both?" Perhaps play around with the two mediums more and see which one that You like best. :) This is an amazing project, and a real contribution to people at large.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rachel!

      You're right--why not do both?! You know what, I think I will! Thank you for that. :)

      I'm so glad you like the project; I'm really excited about it--I think this is gonna be good. I can just feel it. :D

      God bless,
      Taylor

      P.S. I still need to give you back your tupperware!! (Those cookies were amazing. Thank you!) :D

      Delete